Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Sushi Prayer

I picked up a little book of sushi recipes last week and sat with it one evening, imagining how good it would feel to invite friends over to learn to roll sushi with me. I thought of ingredients, a guest list, music, how far from the wall I'd need to move my drop-leaf dining table. Sitting still with a little piece of your imagination, I find, can be a potent form of prayer.

Now, my dear friends Jan and Kobi are the only people I know who make sushi at home - vegetarian, given the danger in handling and eating raw fish at home. It's a family tradition of theirs. But Jan and Kobi live in upstate New York and I've seen them rarely over the last 25 years. We've watched and listened as each others' lives have unfolded and refolded, but mostly from a distance.

Here's how my sushi prayer was answered: A phone call from Kobi as he sailed through the Sound to Nantucket on his Val trimaran. An invitation to come up to Tulgey Wood. An invitation: "Gillian says come right now" - Friday night.

And Saturday, as it happened, because the avocados were ripe, became sushi night in the Great Tulgey Wood of Nantucket. It was the first time since 1992 that I've spent time in one of the wonderful camps founded by Gillian Butchman or her mother, Helen "Hellcat" Lamb.















That's Jan starting the process - sushi rolls for 80 people - 60 mates and 20 buckaloos.















Sushi 101: If you've grown up in an institution because of some limitation or another, there's a very good chance you won't know what wasabi is ... That's Kobi demonstrating the "little pinch" to Jeremy, and Gillian behind them.



















Rotate this 90 degrees and you'll see my view Sunday morning in Downward Facing Dog.














Motorcross Racing 101: Will giving a tutorial on Motorcross racing to a group before going out to a bar in town to watch the race.














The simple cedar shake architecture of Nantucket is a legacy of the Quaker settlers. Roof walks, for instance, were considered ostentatious.

Here's a wonderful blog on Tulgey Wood:

http://web.mac.com/pauric_ocallaghan/iWeb/TulgeyWood/Welcome.html

No comments: