Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Sheridan Crumlish - A Memory

My friend Sheridan Crumlish died.

That was his real name. I asked him once if "Sheridan" was common when he was growing up. No, he told me. "Sheridan Crumlish" was a very difficult name to grow up with.

Here's my first memory of Sheridan Crumlish.

It is March 2002 and the U.S. has just started bombing Iraq. I madly Google the word "peace" and find the Peace Testimony of the Quakers, and this quote from George Fox:

"Walk cheerfully over the world, answering that of God in everybody."

From my yoga practice, I reply "Namaste," and decide to go to a Quaker service.

Sheridan was the first person I heard speak in Quaker Meeting.

The group is sitting in concentric circles of chairs and I'm facing the door. I'm watching a very tall old, old man walk down the long hallway towards the room with a cane. Meeting for worship has begun and the room has shifted to the deep still of common, silent prayer. Sheridan very slowly, carefully shuffles towards us. He is wearing hunter green wide wale corduroys, a white oxford shirt, and navy blazer. He has a bright pink sweater wrapped around his shoulders and a beret. And on his feet are a pair of hand-woven rattan slippers with red pom-poms. As he walks into the room, I can't keep my eyes off the pompoms.

He looks exactly like my grandfather, only unapologetically colorful.

He sits down in an open chair in the inner circle, and settles in for about 10 minutes. He is the first to speak:

"I read in the New York Times this morning that despite U.S. bombing, the fisherman of the Tigris and Euphrates are still fishing this week, exactly as they have done for a thousand years. And somehow this gave me a great deal of comfort."

And somehow that gave me a lot of comfort, and hooked me on Sheridan and Quaker meeting.

Our friendship grew in between bursts of doting attention, and his fiery alcoholism. There was a birthday dinner party for him in his NYC brownstone; a visit to his summer home in Québec for a long Memorial Day weekend; and a winter of Sunday morning phone calls: "Sheridan, I'm going to Meeting and driving by your house. Do you want a ride?"

There were also afternoons in his home with groceries and lunch, and lots of stories about the women, but mostly men, he'd known over the years. He cheered me on even while he dismissed my romantic interests: "Sister - You're pretty, but no Palm Beach. Don't waste your time on the high flyer." I remember one day I was "Brigitte the Irish Chambermaid" while I was in his kitchen making tea for everyone. He was complex and alive, and sometimes just happily rude.

I liked trying to practice my French with him. He spoke four languages and at Northwestern University had tutored, and been engaged to, Nan Robertson, the wonderful New York Times reporter. He had also served as an diplomatic administrator in Europe after World War II. But he told me I had to stop: my accent is terrible and it made him cranky. He was also fussy about the words I used. He would mimic a particularly casual usage and make me stop and rephrase. "Say what you mean," was his abiding command.

He couldn't get to the Met or enjoy NYC the way he'd planned when he bought his brownstone and started renovating it, but one could always find him in his downstairs study on a Saturday afternoon listening to the opera on the radio and reading the New York Times. He spent the winters in NYC making plans for the houses he was renovating in Québec and always had pictures handy.

His interior design style was wabi-sabi, a term I swear I learned from him, but he swore he'd never heard of. Everything in his homes, it seemed, had received some repair and in the Zen aesthetic of wabi-sabi, the care you take to repair something adds to its value and beauty. The porcelain jewelry case that belonged to his mother had been broken and repaired once by her, again by him. It sat prominently in the entrance to his brownstone.

One memorable exception to that was "The Million Dollar Couch" on the second floor of his farmhouse - an enormous couch he'd bought at a design showcase on Long Island- in turquoise velvet. He told me the price. It didn't cost quite a million since he bought the floor model. A crane had to lift it through the picture window to get it into the room and it sat next to his easel and a wide view of neighboring mountains.

It occurs to me that my friendship with Sheridan laid some precious mortar after the end of my marriage. And surely Ashtanga, the Alternatives to Violence Project and blogging are more of that.

From Sheridan I developed a love for old kitchen utensils. His toaster was an Art Deco open-coiled monster from the 1930's that had no On-Off switch - it had to be unplugged to let the coils cool.

Here's his most romantic recipe. He taught it to me in that old farmhouse in Québec, calling directions from his chair in the living room while I executed. It was a lovely gift, and one day I hope to cook it as intended.

"Paris 1948" Take 2 Tablespoons of butter and melt over a low heat. Stir in 1 Tablespoon flour and cook the roux. Add about a teaspoon of curry powder, some tarragon leaves to taste. Then stir in some frozen shrimp that have been melted and dried thoroughly. Pour the curried shrimp over rice, or linguini, or angel hair pasta.

I grew up in an antiseptic Betty Crocker household, as did my mother, and Sheridan was the first cook I knew who left his cheeses out on the farmhouse kitchen table, happily ignoring the line of little ants streaming over the tabletop. Cheese really does taste better at room temperature. And mustard? Buy it dry and mix it as you need it. For a salad dressing - dissolve the salt into the vinegar before mixing in the oil, and make small amounts, you don't need a vat of the stuff. For Sheridan I also learned to mix a martini.

When I last spoke with him in January, a few weeks before he passed, I asked whether he should be returning to Québec in the winter. I didn't need to remind him that I'd pulled him out of his bed one winter in NYC, wet, shivering, naked and on the verge of pneumonia. He was cranky and said he'd be fine. I told him I loved him and was glad he was carrying a new cell phone.

I heard today that he returned to Québec to die - further medical tests when he got home showed that his prostate cancer had completely metastasized into his bones and he could not find a way to get warm. He had apparently been in quite a bit of pain.

His best friend, Richard, adopted his fat dirty cat and says that she actually cleans up nicely in the Québec countryside. We laughed about that today.

And the cemetery near his home granted his desire that a large round boulder be placed on his grave as the only marker, although I understand it split in two when they moved it onto the site. There is no name on it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your description fits the Sheridan I knew in the early 80s when he lived in Key West and would come to Southeastern Yearly Meeting functions to provide art for our youth...
I would love to use excerpts in the Southeastern YM newsletter with your permission. Please email me: admin@seym.org
thanks, lyn

Ford Carrigan said...

Sheridan Crumlish is one of the few people I have known in my life that really lived life to it's fullest. It seems as though he made close friends and left an impression on everyone he met.

I knew Sheridan in the 1970's while living in Key West. He owned a huge house on Eaton St. that had been converted to apartments and I served as superintendent for a couple of years. It was during that time that he bought the Brownstone in NY. I remember how excited he was to have new palette to ply his renovation skills.

I was in my mid 20's then and just learning carpentry and Sheridan gently nudged me through a series of projects that included stair repairs, sink installations, and even finishing a Widows Walk on the roof of his third story apt. Someone said that a Widows Walk had not been built in Key West in over 100 years before that one.

I enjoyed every minute that I was around Sheridan. It was obvious that he was well educated but he never lorded it over anyone. He was very gentle when he corrected your error and was happy to share knowledge.

Sheridan enjoyed entertaining my lady friends and me with little luncheons and dinner parties. Eventually, I met a lady that stuck and moved up to Hollywood, Fl. and married in 1975. The last time I saw Sheridan was in about 1988 when I had my family down to the Keys for a visit. Of course he was very gracious and served Iced Tea.

So long Sheridan. See when I get Home. Love, Ford.

known to Sheridan as "Julie" said...

I was between the ages of 7 and 12 when Sheridan was a constant visitor in our house on Eastern Long Island. My mother was part of the art set and often had Sheridan and his friend Carl Brown as well as "The Johns" and my Aunt Jessie over for drinks. Usually the evening ended in verbal swinging matches in english, french, and often words that described a circumstance perfectly, but that no one had heard before or since. He swore at us in french, which was okay because is broadened our vocabularies, and referred to us as "The Littles" which sounded detracting, but in truth I think he liked our spunk. My two sisters were not ones to take guff and since we three spoke fluent "OP" we could infuriate the adults at every turn, since they had not mastered "OP". Wonderful days and evenings sitting on the living room floor listening to the squabbling of these fascinating individuals who rejected those in Society who thought They were the rejectors. We had a secret key into the lives of people who lived life on their own terms. Fifty years later, Sheridan, Carl, John and John, my aunt and my mom still paint the landscapes that the three of us inhabit.

Anonymous said...

Sheridan was my great uncle. Thank you for writing such beautiful words about him.

The Urban Pioneer said...

My name is Charlotte Maddux. I am a sixty-four year old African American and I met Sheridan in Key West in the seventies. I loved Sheridan. I actually stood on his widows walk with him and some friends of mine. We took pictures but Sheridan refused to photograph with us saying that we
would just have to explain him.

I learned a lot from Sheridan especially how to make the simple things in life useful like a clay flower pot for a hanging light and keeping cheese at room temperature. After leaving Florida to finish my education I was only able to visit him a few times. On my last visit I had my
daughter along and he knew right away that she had a Quaker education by the way she spoke.

I recently learned of his passing
via social media and I was distraught for several days. I guess I thought he would live forever. I would share more but I
don't have the words to express
how I miss him or how to get this
computer to stop asking me if I am a robot.

JB said...

Hi Charlotte! I'm so happy to read your comment. Thank you for wading through the spamguards and writing to me! I loved Sheridan, too. I love hearing your memories. Again, my thanks! Jessica

JB said...

Hi Charlotte! I'm so happy to read your comment. Thank you for wading through the spamguards and writing to me! I loved Sheridan, too. I love hearing your memories. Again, my thanks! Jessica

Cynthia Crumlish said...

Hello. Sheridan was my Dad's cousin. I had heard stories about him for years and met him in NYC quite by chance at the Quaker meeting on the Columbia Campus. He had the Crumlish eyebrows! We got together several times and then he seemed to have moved to Vermont or somewhere up north. He left a message on my answering machine quite a few years ago and that was the last word I had from him. He was a real Crumlish character!
Cynthia Crumlish